Monday, February 4, 2008

Rebates for Haiti?

Here's a letter to the editor that I submitted to the Asheville Citizen-Times last week. I was told it will run in the near future, but there we loads of letters lined up before mine. Since I'm inpatient and can't wait to share it, here it is.

Dear Editor,

I want to give my tax rebate to Haiti, not Wal-Mart. Two articles were side by side in today’s paper (Jan. 29, 2008), but worlds apart. “Haiti’s poor eat dirt as food prices rise” described families eating cookies made of clay, salt, and shortening because they cannot afford food, while “House OKs tax rebates” outlined the stimulus package passed by the House.

Frankly, I don’t want the money. Will it help me pay some bills? Yes, but just in the short term. After reading about a mother feeding her child dirt to fill his belly, I guarantee that I will not go shopping with this money.

I am going to search for a way to get it as close as possible to families living in Cite Soleil, Haiti. I know sending money is a short-term fix to Haiti’s problem; the roots of poverty in the Western Hemisphere’s poorest county are deep and complicated. But faced with the comparison side by side, I don’t feel right doing anything else.

I encourage others to consider donating their rebate to an aid organization in Haiti or a domestic charity. Maybe we can turn this in to a grassroots campaign to stimulate social justice, not spending.

Sincerely,
Shelley Booth
Asheville, NC

And as a p.s. -- I'd love to link the articles from the Citizen-Times, but their website is atrocious for finding archives (even from last week). So here's the Haiti story from MSNBC.

It also got me digging for more information. Check out Partners in Health, started by Dr. Paul Farmer and his work as a doctor and anthropologist in Haiti. I also went to NPR to learn more about his biography, Mountains beyond Mountains, and his work.

Let me know if this speaks to you at all. Do these rebates make sense? Will you consider donating some of your check to charity?

5 comments:

Ti Bre said...

Dear Shelly,

Hello, my name is Brennan. I'm a junior biology major at Notre Dame. I came across your blog because I have a GoogleAlert for Cite Soleil. That's how much I love Haiti.

I couldn't agree with you more. So much of the world's riches have come from Haiti. It produced 75% of the world's sugar during colonial times, it was the crux of the Triangular Trade route for slaves, it earned more for France than all 13 U.S. colonies combined did for Britain. After independence, it payed 50 million francs (today's 21billion USD) as retribution for "lost property" of slaves...and it did actually service all that debt! It has been bullied by the U.S., France, Germany and Canada by gunboat diplomacy in the early 20th century and by directly supported coup d'etats against the democratically elected president TWICE. All in the name of protecting U.S. "interests."

I agree with you that money should be redistributed, not just spit back into a relatively wealthy culture. But more than anything, I wish that our government coffers didn't COME from keeping poor countries poor, so we can exploit their resources. It's an uncomfortable truth that our wealth results from other people staying in desperate poverty.

I love Haiti. I had the chance to go over Christmas break with a program at school. Have you ever been?

If you're interested in Cite Soleil, specifically, check out this blog, by a doctor from Peoria, Il who works there: http://oforthep.blogspot.com

~Brennan

Shelley said...

Thanks for writing Brennan. And I appreciate the additional information about Haiti. I'll be sure to check out http://oforthep.blogspot.com.

Thanks again,
Shelley

Ti Bre said...

Oh, whoops, I accidently gave you my blog: oforthep.

The doctor's blog is http://dyinginhaiti.blogspot.com

His is much better than mine!

Stacey said...

Great post, Shelley. PIH sounds like a great place to make a donation. I also checked on kiva.org hoping to find a Haitian entrepreneur, but they do not have any at the moment. Kiva is growing by leaps and bounds, though, so hopefully they will add Haiti soon.

Anonymous said...

stronger ramblers giac patna ushered vial willful cappelletti druggable deployments dale
lolikneri havaqatsu